Jun 10, 2010

The Mayfields & Mumfords

   Ed celebrated a birthday.  Every May, I quietly rejoice that of all the random coincidences of the world, two unlikely people got together, and as a result, forever blessed this Earth with on of the most kind, gentle, intelligent and beautiful old souls I have ever met.  Happy Birthday, ECM.


  For Ed's birthday, I bought us tickets to a concert in Austin, TX.  I could never describe just how much I love this city.  In my early college years, I would road trip from San Antonio alone and park in down town Austin.  From here, I would proceed to wander the streets and let my mind do the same.  It sounds silly, but if my soul was a destination on a map, it would read, "Austin, TX".


  After bargaining with the Priceline Negotiator, we secured reservations for the night at the Mansion at Judges Hill. It drives Ed crazy that I gamble with negotiating where we will stay, but it's part of the adventure, I say!  Never do I bid more than a said amount, and as a result, we get to stay at some pretty cool places that we might otherwise not.  The hotel is dog friendly and scores an A+ in my book for being clean, abnormally quiet given its location between the UT campus and the Capital, AND serving fresh snicker doodle cookies upon checking in.  I would recommend this lovely hotel to anyone!


  Before the concert and after an interesting cab ride with a driver who probably left cursing the "infidels!", We ate a seafood dinner at Trulucks.  Y'all, I am by no means a salad eater.  I try to trick myself into eating one every now and then, but it is of no use.  I just don't care for them.  OH MY!  I couldn't put the fork in my mouth fast enough from the Sonoma Greens salad.  It is so simple, mixed greens, whole olives, chopped pecans, feta cheese, and a very light dressing that had a honey after taste.  My body practically went into shock telling me, "Shalayne, meet vegetables, vegetables, Shalayne."  YUMMMMM.  


  After my life changing vegetable experience, we walked down the street to La Zona Rosa for the grand event:


MUMFORD & SONS



A few photos:







Margherita Pizza in Fredericksburg, TX

Ed sketching my portrait.  I can't decide if it is sweet or not that he draws me looking like an Edvard Munch reject.







He loves guns












Just your everyday, average mutt chillin' in a sidecar.




I love you






In these bodies we will live, in these bodies we will die
Where you invest your love, you invest your life
In these bodies we will live, in these bodies we will die


Where you invest your love, you invest your life
                                              
                                             "Awake My Soul"
                                             Mumford & Sons




















3 comments:

  1. It's been such a pleasure seeing Ed grow up...I didn't see him every day, but every few years, the first time when he was two days old, to see how he has turned into such a fine person, it's been wonderful. I'm glad he has found you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shalayne, you are an exceptionally talented writer and photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bottom pick of Ed - he kinda looks like Johnny Knoxville! hehehe

    ReplyDelete